Indonesia revises its future oil and gas production sharing agreements
Natural Gas - Oil - Contract - Policy
Indonesia has adopted a new scheme amending the terms of future oil and gas production sharing contracts (PSCs).
In the new contract model, contractors will support the cost of exploration and production, rather than be reimbursed by the government. In turn, they will retain a higher share of the oil and gas produced; under the existing PSCs - that will not be changed - the government received 70% of the gas produced and 85% of oil. Various criteria, will enter into account to set the split in revenues between the government and contractors, such as field location to reflect higher production costs or the amount of local content used for the project. PT Pertamina has just signed the first contract under the new scheme for the Offshore North West Java (ONWJ) block: the government will get only 37.5% of any gas and 42.5% of oil.
The country expects to attract new investors to boost the development of new fields. Indeed, Indonesia's crude oil production has been declining since the mid-1990s, posting a decrease of more than 40% between 2000 (72 Mtoe) and 2015 (40 Mtoe). Gas production, which grew between 2000 and 2005, has been contracting since then, down to 42 Mtoe in 2015. In addition, the new scheme should lower the burden on Jakarta's budget: in 2016, oil and gas contractors active in Indonesia asked for more than US$11bn in reimbursement, compared to an expected level of US$8.4bn.
Source(s): International press
Sembcorp signs BOT agreement with Myanmar on 225MW Myingyan project
Electricity - Natural gas - Thermal - Companies - Projects
Singapore's power utility Sembcorp has signed a build-operate-transfer (BOT) agreement with the Ministry of Electricity and Energy of Myanmar (MOEE) for its proposed 225 MW Myingyan gas-fired power project being built in Mandalay in Myanmar.
This marks a new milestone for the project, which is already under construction and is expected to be commissioned in early 2018. In March 2016, Sembcorp signed a long-term power purchase agreement in March 2016, for the sale of the plant’s entire power output to Electric Power Generation Enterprise (EPGE), the successor entity to Myanma Electric Power Enterprise (MEPE). Gas turbines were ordered to GE in July 2016.
Source(s): Sembcorp press release
Petrovietnam partners with Exxon on Blue Whale gas project (Vietnam)
Natural Gas - ExxonMobil - Companies
Vietnam's state-owned oil and gas group PetroVietnam has signed an agreement with ExxonMobil on the development of the giant Blue Whale (Ca Voi Xanh) offshore gas field to the coast of Quang Nam province in Vietnam.
Blue Whale is the largest gas project in Vietnam, holding an estimated 150 bcm of gas reserves, enough to produce up to 10 bcm/year. The project should start in 2017, with commercial operation in 2023. Gas production will be used by the Vietnamese power sector, in a context of soaring electricity demand (expected growth of up to +20%/year) and as part of the country's strategy to switch from coal-fired power plants to cleaner power plants.
Source(s): International press
Marubeni and Itochu will build a gas pipeline for PTT (Thailand)
Natural Gas - Companies - Projects
Thailand's energy group PTT has selected a consortium of Japanese companies Marubeni and Itochu to supply a 430-km-long gas pipeline, that would stretch from Rayong to Nonthaburi, north of Bangkok. The Baht 99bn (US$2.8bn) gas pipeline project is expected to be completed by 2020.
Source(s): International press
Thailand starts Bangpoo 240 MW gas-fired power plant
Electricity - Natural gas - Thermal - TEPCO - Companies
JERA, the joint venture of Japanese power companies TEPCO (50%) and Chubu (50%) that is part of the Joint Venture SSUT, announces the consortium has started commercial operations at the Bangpoo Industrial Estate CHP power plant. The gas-fired power plant of 240 MW, located 30 km southeast of Bangkok will sell 75% of the electricity produced to Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) under a 25-year electric power purchase agreement (PPA), while the remaining 25% will be sold directly to customers in the industrial estate.
Early on 2016, the consortium had begun commercial operations at the 120 MW Lat Krabang power plant in Thailand.
Source(s): Jera press release
Nuclear power capacity increased by less than 10 GW in 2016
Electricity - Nuclear - Capacities - Data - Projects - Supply
Global nuclear generating capacity reached 391.4 GW at end-2016, up from 382.2 GW one year before.
Construction of three large reactor projects also started during 2016, while three units were permanently shut down.
In 2016, 10 new nuclear power reactors, with a total capacity of 9,579 MW, commenced commercial operation, of which five in China, namely Ningde 4 (1,020 MW), Hongyanhe 4 (1,020 MW), Changjiang 2 (610 MW), Fangchenggang 2 (1,020 MW) and Fuqing 3 (1,020 MW). The five other reactors commissioned in 2016 were located in South Korea (Shin Kori-3, 1,340 MW), India (Kudankulam-2, 920 MW), Pakistan (Chashma-3, 310 MW), Russia (Novovoronezh-6, 1,100 MW) and the USA (Watts Bar-2, 1,160 MW).
In addition, project constructions started in China, the Tianwan-6 (1,080 MW) and Fangchenggang-4 (1,150 MW), in Pakistan (Karachi-3, 1,000 MW).
Conversely, three power reactors with a combined capacity of 1, 400 MW were definitively shut down in 2016: the Ikata-1 (540 MW) in Japan, Fort Calhoun (480 MW) in the USA and Novovoronezh-3 (380 MW) in Russia.
At the end of 2016, there were 447 reactors operable around the world totalling 391.4 GW, and 60 under construction (64.5 GW gross capacity).
These data are in line with the data provided in our Power Plant Tracker
: International press
BP will supply PTT with 1 Mt/y of LNG for 20 years (Thailand)
LNG - Natural Gas - BP - Companies - Supply - Trade
BP and the Thailand's national oil company PTT announced that have entered into a sales and purchase agreement for LNG. Under the agreement, BP will provide PTT with approximately 1 Mt/year of LNG (1.35 bcm/year) during 20 years starting in 2017. The LNG will be sourced from BP’s diverse portfolio, including the Freeport LNG project in the USA.
Source(s): BP press release
EVN commissions 1.2 GW Lai Chau hydropower project (Vietnam)
Electricity - Hydro - Renewables - EVN - Companies - Projects
Vietnam's national power utility Electricity of Vietnam (EVN) has officially commissioned the 1,200 MW Lai Chau hydropower project on the Da River (Vietnam).
The project, consisting of three 400 MW units, entered construction phase in 2011 and was put into commercial operation one year ahead of schedule. With the 1.2 GW plant online, the total hydropower capacity on the Da River raises to 6.5 GW, including the 1,400 MW Hoa Binh and 2,000 MW (5 x 400 MW) Son La power plants, which were respectively completed in 1994 and 2012.
Source(s): National press
Pertamina and Saudi Aramco sign JV deal on Indonesian refinery project
Oil - Refined oil - Companies - Investments - Projects
Indonesian state-owned oil company Pertamina has sgined a Joint Venture Development Agreement (JVDA) with its Saudi Arabia counterpart Saudi Aramco to jointly own, upgrade and operate the Cilacap Refinery in central Java, Indonesia. Pertamina will own 55% in the upgraded refinery, while Saudi Aramco will own the remaining 45%.
The Cilacap refinery expansion project is estimated at US$4bn to US$5bn and aims to add 25,000 bbl/d to the existing facility to reach 400,000 bbl/d. It will be designed to process Arabian crude supplied by Saudi Aramco and will also improve the quality of oil products (higher complexity level and higher value-added product) by producing refined products meeting Euro V specifications, basic petrochemicals, and Group II base oil for lubricants.
To date, the upgraded refinery configuration has been completed and the process to select technology licensors will start soon with the Basic Engineering Design work targeted for completion in the first quarter of 2017. Signing this agreement paves the way for the upgraded project to move to the Front End Engineering Design (FEED) phase in the second quarter 2017 while project start-up is targeted in 2021
Source(s): Saudi Aramco press release
Thailand will launch 1 GW renewable tender in the second half of 2017
Biomass - Electricity - Renewables - Solar - Feed-in tariffs - Policy - Tender
The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) of Thailand plans to open bidding for the development and operation of 1,000 MW of renewable power capacities in 2017.
Solar, biomass-fired, biogas-fired and waste-to-power projects will be offered feed-in tariffs in the bidding round, with the first one for 519 MW of solar projects expected in the second half of 2017. Solar feed-in tariffs are expected to start at Baht 4.19/kWh (US$11.6c/kWh), slightly lower than the 2016 average of Baht 5.6/kWh (15.5v/kWh) thanks to declining construction costs. The ERC will also open bids for 400 MW of biomass-fired projects and for 63 MW of waste-to-power projects.
According to the ERC, total renewable capacity in Thailand stood at 9,263 MW at the end of November 2016 (from 8,363 MW at the end of 2015, hydropower included), or 55% of the 16,778 MW renewable target set for 2036.
Source(s): National press